Thank you for checking out my blog. If you like what you read, please let me know by following me or commenting. You can also contact me on facebook.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Praising God For Our Temptation

At times in my life I find myself in seasons that are especially hard for me to follow Jesus exclusively.

I am in one of those seasons as I write this.

Currently I am between 2 jobs through the week, volunteering on the weekends, managing a social life, and trying to manage a tangible spiritual life. But, this is average for both myself, and the American church today. My issue is this: I work at a grocery store.

Last year I made a commitment to God and myself to remain celibate, meaning, I chose to remain single. This was easy during the winter months, but it has become increasingly hard during the warm seasons, where being a grocery boy becomes an issue.

My job is just south of a college campus and right next to a gym.

I am a 21 year old, hormone raged lover of Jesus, surrounded by beautiful and scantily dressed women. Lust has become a completely new and vicious beast for me to wrestle.

I'm sure you have experienced this kind of war.

We all have our own battle fields.

But there is good news.

Jesus understands.

We serve a God who knows what we struggle against and who knows how hard we fight.

To the church of Pergamum, Jesus writes:

"I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives." (Revelation 2:13 emphasis mine)


Jesus understands our war, and he sees the struggle, and he always is ready to pick us up, dust us off, and put our sword back in our hands. 


But Jesus doesn't stop there. He always goes above and beyond everything we could ever ask or think (Eph 3:20). 


Our God records everything in his Book of Remembrance . 


"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books." (Revelation 20:12)


Many times when we Christians read this passage, chills go down our spine as we think of everything we do wrong. But we must remember, Christ is our Judge, and he always judges justly, not by our standards, but by his.


And Christ's judgments are never fair.


He always judges in our favor.


So why does this Book bring us comfort during our war against sin?


His Book records the good things we do as well!


Everything, let me say that again, everything is recorded. From that bottle of water given to a homeless man, to the turning of the cheek to our persecutors, to our feeble prayers for the sick or lost, every good deed is recorded.


Jesus remembers, even though we've already forgotten all the good things we've done.

So take heart! Jesus both understands our struggle, knows everything about the situation, sees how hard we fight, and he records every time we remain faithful.



Have you praised God for your temptation today?

No comments:

Post a Comment